The purpose of Vajra Dakini Nunnery is to benefit all beings through prayer and service. We are open to nuns of all nationalities and lineages. Our interconnectedness with the lay Sangha is honored, friendships treasured. Guests are welcome. Spiritual contemplative life is a blessing and you are invited during your stay, whether an hour or months, to fully and deeply drink from the well of peaceful monastic community practice.
Vajra Dakini is open to the public on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings when the nuns are not in retreat. Saturday afternoon is a good time to offer service or read in the library and join in pot luck meals with the nuns. Sundays are devoted to silent meditation and Dharma Teachings. On Open Sundays, lay guests are invited to join the nuns for the day. Please call to let us know you will be coming.
Monastics live by donation, relying on the generosity of the Sangha, trusting that their efforts to make the Dharma accessible are appreciated. Guests are encouraged to practice "dana" or generosity as well as bring food or groceries.
Guidelines for Guests
Everyone comes with the intention of exploring the nature of their minds. So that the peace of our contemplative community can be experienced by all who visit, all guests and residents are asked to honor these guidelines.
1. All visitors agree to follow the Five Precepts and follow the common schedule.
2. Silence (except Saturday) is held from 9 PM to 11 am and all day Sunday.
- Respect life and do not physically harm any living being
- Respect others' property and do not take anything that hasn't been freely given or use anything that is not for your use.
- Do not engage in sexual behavior, including flirting
- Speak truthfully, kindly, and at appropriate times
- Do not use intoxicants (alcohol, recreational drugs, tobacco). Anyone using these substances during their stay here will be asked to leave.
3. We are vegetarian at all meals other than Saturday lunch.
4. All music and dance are restricted to the Vajra Dakini Liturgy.
5. Dharma material and books are the only reading materials permitted.
6. Residency is by invitation. Please prearrange exit transportation.
Lay Guests are welcome to join the Sunday morning community meditation, participate in Dharma Study classes and to come to retreats, service weekends and celebrations. Saturday afternoons are open to visitors for pot luck meals and use of the library. You are welcome to make appointments for spiritual instruction and counseling. Open Sundays are silent and open to practitioners and the public for meditation and Dharma Teachings.